Same Sex Blessings

In this week’s video blog I address a current issue, that of same sex blessings:

This entry was posted in Current Issues, Same Sex Blessings. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Same Sex Blessings

1. sckeppy says:

Part of what brought me to the Episcopal Church decades ago was its ability to have calm and faithful discussion about topics that people in the world ‘discussed’ only with shouting and anger. I am glad we are having these discussions, and I believe the Holy Spirit works through them to draw us closer into the life of Christ and the kingdom of God. Dealing with potentially polarizing issues in this way actually strengthens the community.

2. Stan says:

It is so refreshing to hear a perspective according to the heart and mind of Jesus who came to dine with the Community of the Unexpected and gathered around himself every type of person. Bishop, you give me hope. We need not always be on the same side of an issue, but we must be on the side of the Lord who saw and demanded that the dignity of each person made in God’s image be respected and valued. Conversation, respectful dialogue, and remembering that we are family united in God is just so essential. Thank you for being a voice of reason and hope.

3. elizabeth Schreier says:

is it possible to receive your blog without the video, just the script? my computer garbles the words and pauses – its not good and I miss the message. I am hungry to hear what you have to say and am grateful for the communication.

• rwfranklin says:

I am new to blogging, and I have found that video blogging is the only way that I am able to keep up with weekly messages in the midst of what is often a hectic schedule.
      I have asked our diocesan communication officer to look into how we might go about efficiently providing text each week because I do want everyone to be able to receive my messages. This is an important part of our being in community with one another, strengthening our diocese and moving forward together.
      Thank you for your interest. I hope we will soon offer both the videos and the text transcripts each week.

• Elizabeth, it is possible that after you click on the play arrow that you may pause the video and watch the bar “fill up” as the content is downloaded into your computer(or at least that is what I do when videos start “stuttering.”) Bishop Franklin, even though I live in California, I am excited by the passage of this bill and am delighted to hear your thoughts about it. (Oh, and please consider either having the microphone closer to you or turning it up if it is in the camera you are using to record your vids! 🙂 )

4. Good message, Bill!

5. JAM says:

Although I respect everyone else’s comments, I must disagree with the way the Episcopal Church has embraced all opinions recently. For the past few+ years the church has been very mutually exclusive when it comes to sharing ideas or perspectives. If the church had been more mutually inclusive, I believe St Bart’s and its 1200+ members might not have left. It seems every year the conservative voice in the Episcopal Church keeps getting shut out more and more. Don’t get me wrong, I believe that 2 different opinions can co-exsit throughout the diocese and the national church. However, it seems very difficult when places like the cathedral (which should be a place where all types of Episcopalians from across the diocese should be able to worship) are so one-sided (liberal) to the point where a more traditional member might feel uncomfortable being able to go for a special service. Lastly, I really like the bishops idea of forming two committees, where two perspectives each get the attention they both deserve. God’s Peace.

6. Jack Marshall says:

In 1993 I entered into the Episcopal Conversation. For me, My Bishop Mark Dyer of Bethlehem was emblematic of the Episcopal Church. He welcomed my voice, and many others, into our discussions. Months before I came to Bethlehem, I had been told by my R.C. bishop that my continued discussion of married clergy would not be tolerated and that I would be ‘silenced’. That term means that you forfeit your home, living and ability to serve as a priest or keep quiet.

Like Sue Keppy, I treasure our ability to have conversations…even the ones that make my blood boil. These are the things we need to be about; neither condemnations nor exclusion based on a lack of like thinking. I firmly believe that many of will have gone with God long before this issue is defined by the whole Body of Christ, but I really do look forward to the journey!